Last Updated on March 6, 2020 by uts_admin
The use of hair oils is gaining momentum in modern society. The truth of the matter is that these oils have been used by countless generations to give desired results.
However, the beauty industry at some point opted for more synthetic solutions for hair care; in a bid to influence their bottomline. As more and more people move to holistic living, natural hair oils are gaining new relevance. The modern beauty-seeker wants to avoid ill effects in hair products as much as possible. To this end, natural hair oils have become a huge topic. To fully grasp what they are all about, it is critical to learn how they work and whether they are suitable for use.
Understanding natural hair oils
Hair oils simply refer to naturally-produced oils that have not been mixed or processed with other chemicals or ingredients. They are oils extracted and used in their raw form. The fact that they do not have any additives or preservatives makes them purer and ideal for hair care. Indeed, many natural beauty experts have observed that pure oils retain their constituents which impact hair positively. One of the major factors that determines the purity of these oils is the method of extraction. Using heat or chemicals in extraction will potentially harm the original oil formulation. Therefore, natural oils should be produced in a manner that does not interfere with their structural integrity. This point cannot be overemphasized.
How hair oils work
There is a wide array of hair oils to talk about. From coconut oil to olive oil and avocado oil, the list is long. Each oil is created uniquely and to this end, oils work in different ways. Coconut oil for example is one of the best oils for hair. It is made of medium chain fatty acids making it penetrate better into your hair shaft. This means that it can moisturize deeply to your delight. When it comes to other oils that are long chain fatty acids like olive and avocado, they will penetrate slightly into your hair shaft and provide some good moisturization. Therefore, each oil will work differently. There are other types of oils that do not penetrate into your shaft. In essence, they will just coat your hair. This coating can be helpful if you are looking to protect your hair from heat treatments for example.
Hair oils that coat also act as good sealants to lock in moisture. An example includes argan, sweet almond, castor, grape seed, and jojoba; the list goes on and on. These oils therefore have a place in your hair care regimen. If you want to achieve instant shine, oils that coat are ideal. They are best used at the final step of your natural hair care routine. Therefore, understanding how these oils work will help you choose the right oil for the right use.
What are the top benefits of using hair oils?
As we have established above, the question is not whether you should use hair oil, the real question is how you should use the oils. Before going into the details on how to use natural oils, let us explore some of the top advantages of using the oils. Indeed, if you do not use them, you are missing out on the merits discussed below.
1. Excellent for detangling curly hair
If you have curly hair, you know very well that tangling is a major problem. If you do not use the right products, these tangles can get worse and lead to hair loss. Thankfully, natural hair oils are able to help with curls. They soften your curls to avoid tangling. Your hair will also look more healthy and attractive as the oils promote luster.
2. Repair damaged hair
There are many things that can damage hair including perennial heat styling and coloring your hair too often. Damaged hair will be lifeless and brittle. Hair oils are able to activate from the roots to provide healing gradually. Therefore, you do not have to give up on damaged hair, with a suitable hair care regimen, you can slowly get back the shine you desire.
3. Add shine to dull hair
Dull hair often lacks moisture and the lipid bi-layer may need to be replenished. This is where hair oils come in. They are able to add instant shine to dull hair. If you love that sleek ponytail, oils will help you add the perfect shine and smoothness. In addition, they can help you deal with unruly or flyaway hairs. Achieve the style you want easily by tapping into the merits of these oils.
Hair oils are easy to use and to customize. Indeed, you can create homemade oils through DIY guides. They will not cost you a small fortune. Therefore, the merits are endless. Before looking at how to use oils in your hair, it is important to look at various oils individually and determine what they will offer you as highlighted below.
Different hair oils and what they do
It is worth mentioning that many oils that are preferred for natural hair care are essential oils. These are the purest forms of oils that can be extracted from leaves and flowers. Carrier oils such as coconut and jojoba oils also come in with great merits. The main difference between carrier oils and essential oils is that carrier oils are typically fatty, vegetable oils derived from a kernel or seed; while essential oils are extracted aromatic essences that often have a distinct aroma. To this end, carrier oils will have a more neutral smell while essential oils will have a signature scent from their source. Essential oils are very concentrated and more potent, while carrier oils can be applied directly to skin unlike essential oils.
- Coconut – This is certainly a leading oil for hair care and has been used for a very long time by many. It is mainly known for increasing shine and softening the hair. It is the most commonly used carrier oil.
- Almond – If you are looking to soothe the scalp and add intense moisture, this is the perfect choice for you. It works to prevent scalp dryness and issues such as dandruff.
- Sandalwood – If you have split ends and chronic dryness, this oil will help greatly. It is also known for adding a sweet savory fragrance to your hair.
- Geranium – This oil will add strength to hair ensuring that strands do not split easily. This can also effectively prevent hair loss caused by dryness.
- Cedarwood – Are you looking to promote hair growth? This oil will do the trick because it will stimulate the scalp to provide some good growth of healthy hair.
- Argan – The best argan oil is from Morocco and when you get this type, you can be sure to nourish hair deeply and to moisturize while removing toxins owing to its antioxidant effect.
Other great natural oils include clary sage, jojoba, lavender, rosemary and many more. With the above list, you will be able to determine your hair needs. Are you looking to restore damaged hair or are you looking for extra lustre? Knowing your hair needs will always enable you to choose something that will help.
How to use hair oil effectively
First, you have to be very careful when using essential oils. They are highly potent and using too much can irritate and burn your skin or scalp. Therefore, follow the instructions provided to get the amounts right. Also, dilute as needed and use the right amounts of carrier oils. When you need to blend, choose a recipe with clear instructions on the amounts and so on. When you have chosen the one you prefer, follow the steps below.
- The first thing is to brush your hair thoroughly. This will help get rid of tangling and knots that can make your work much harder.
- The second thing is to section your hair. Some people can section in two parts or in three or four parts. Do what is most convenient for you.
- Take the right amount and use your hands to rub it. Then, apply to one section of your hair focusing on the root and scalp at first. Using circular motion, allow the oils to penetrate into your scalp properly.
- Do this for every section of hair and make sure that the oil hits the base of the scalp. You can add as needed as you work it into your hair.
- Rub some oil into your hair strands and massage your head for a few minutes. Make sure that every area has been covered. Some people neglect the back of the head and paying close attention is key. After you are done, use a warm damp towel to lightly wrap your head.
- You can leave the oil overnight or as guided by the manufacturer’s instructions. You can use a shower cap when sleeping. Ideally, you should not leave the oil for more than 24 hours. Wash the hair with mild shampoo and warm water the following morning. Treating your hair at least once or twice a week will certainly transform your hair and scalp.
Things you should avoid when oiling your hair
- As mentioned above, you should never oil before combing first. Some people will go straight into oiling and massaging the hair. Combing ensures that you massage your hair effectively so that the oil can penetrate easily.
- You should avoid oiling your hair more than twice a week. This is to provide enough room for the oils to work without overdoing it. After oiling, you have to wash the hair and washing too often will actually reduce or strip natural oils from your hair.
- You should also avoid focusing too much on the scalp as compared to the entire head of hair. The fact of the matter is that your hair strands need the oil to penetrate the shaft. When you focus on the scalp, you may neglect other vital areas.
- Never massage your head too hard or vigorously. Gentle motions that are circular will be more effective than being over passionate with your oil massages. This will help reduce knots and may even spare you a headache later.
- After the hair oil treatment and massage, you should not tie your hair up tightly. In fact, avoid tying it in the first place. Your roots will be weaker and the last thing you want to promote is breakage. Therefore, allow your hair to breathe freely afterwards.
If you are looking for the purest hair oils on the market, Utama Spice is a great brand for you. From Lavender Hair Oil to Senja Hair Oil and Wellkiss Hair Oil, discover natural nourishing aromatherapy hair care products suited to you.
- Senja Hair Oil by Utama Spice is made up of lavender, cananga and patchouli essential oils. With coconut carrier oil, this hair oil will deeply nourish both scalp and hair. Patchouli oil is known for triggering hair growth and adding length. This oil doesn’t contain any colours or synthetic oils and parabens. If you have dry damaged hair, this product is certainly going to be of great benefit to you.
- Lavender Hair Oil will naturally repair brittle hair and restore the damage. This oil is blended with pure lavender essential oil together with virgin coconut oil as a base. If you are looking to protect your mane from heat styling, this is a great option as well.
- Wellkiss Hair Oil is a rich blend containing lemon essential oils, coconut oil and fennel. This will rejuvenate your hair and give you an attractive luster. Caring for your hair naturally is this simple.